A strong foundation is essential for many things. A house needs a strong foundation to be solid, a car needs a good frame to safely get us where we are going, a computer needs proper hardware and software to work well. The same applies to our bodies. We need a good foundation to feel and function our best. A good foundation starts with nutrients and our immune system. Our health is vital to living our best and performing our best. We all know that when we are sick, we are not at our best.
Here are a few reasons why it is important to be intentional about giving our cells the nutrients they need for us to be healthy and thrive.
- To function well, the cells of our immune system need plenty of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and essential fatty acids.
- When our cells and immune system have the nutrients they need, it can respond to bacteria and viruses more efficiently.
- If you have a poor diet you are likely to get sick more often because you don’t have the nutrients your body needs.
- Gut health has an impact on immunity: a healthy diet means gut health which influences how our body responds to bacteria and viruses
You may or may not have heard something along these lines before: your gut is your second brain. This is not a myth. What we eat and our gut health influences our brain, our mood, our overall health, and performance. Proper functioning of our gastrointestinal system is critical for overall health and well-being.
Here are some ways that can help you with a good foundation of nutrients as well as good gut health and a healthy immune system:
- Regularly include foods with prebiotics in your diet
- Regularly include foods with probiotics in your diet
- Regularly include nutrient-dense minimally processed whole foods in your diet that your immune system needs
- Include supplements in your diet that contain prebiotics, probiotics, and nutrients that can help with immune-boosting
- Get enough rest and sleep
1. Regularly include foods with prebiotics in your diet: Aim for 2-3 servings of prebiotic-rich foods each day
Foods with prebiotics:
- Vegetables: asparagus, garlic, Jerusalem artichokes, leeks, and onions
- Carbs: barley, beans, oats, quinoa, rye, wheat, potatoes, and yams
- Fruit: apples, bananas, berries, citrus, kiwi
- Fats: flax seeds and chia seeds
2. Regularly include foods with probiotics in your diet: aim for 1-2 servings of probiotic-rich foods each day
Foods with probiotics:
- Dairy: yogurt, cheese, and kefir with live and active cultures
- Fermented vegetables: pickles, sauerkraut, kimchi
- Fermented soy: miso, tempeh
- Miscellaneous: soy sauce, wine
3.Regularly include a variety of nutrient-dense minimally processed whole foods in your diet, especially ones that can help boost your immune system
Eat a variety of colored vegetables, aiming for one serving of each color per day:
4.Include FLYTE supplements in your diet that contain prebiotics, probiotics, and nutrients that can help with immune-boosting
- Contains your some of your most essential greens
- Contains Antioxidant Super Fruits such as Acai and Gogi Berry
- Contains Honey which has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties
- Contains your daily essential vitamins and minerals
- Contains 7 types of Organic Sea Vegetation packed with essential nutrients
- High Absorption rate and immune support powerhouse
- Contains Elderberry extract which can help boost immunity as they have antiviral properties and packed with phytonutrients
- Packed with Antioxidant fruits such as Pomegranate, Acai, Blueberry, and Tart Cherry to help you fight free radicals
- Contains Organic Artichoke for Digestive support and immune health
5. Get adequate rest and sleep
Getting proper sleep and recovery is essential to immunity as well as overall health and well being. When we are sleep deprived we are more likely to get sick.
- To help you with consistent quality sleep which improves our immune system
- Contains a full dosage of Zinc and Magnesium with are essential minerals
- Contains KSM-66 Ashwagandha with is an adaptogen that helps deal with stress and lowers cortisol
Take a preventative approach to your health and wellness to do what you can for optimal immunity, such as fueling your body with nutrient-dense foods and using supplements like LIFE, VITA, REDS AND REST. By taking care of your health before you are sick, you can better bounce back if you do end up getting sick. By taking a proactive approach, you are also taking care of your body and giving your body what it needs to thrive and perform its best.
What to do to be at your best:- Exercise regularly, but don’t overtraining
- Eat enough food to fuel your body and life
- Practice good hygiene: wash your hands
- Get adequate sleep, consistently
- Manage stress
- Eat plenty of nutrient-dense foods
- Be mindful of gut health: eat foods that promote healthy bacteria
While you cannot control whether or not you pick up germs somewhere, you can do your best to practice good hygiene by washing your hands regularly. By ensuring that you take good care of your health by exercising.
Charissa is a Performance Coach, Certified Nutrition Coach, Certified Fitness Specialist, Certified Personal Trainer, and holds a B.S. in Kinesiology. She also holds an M.A. in Higher Education Administration. She is a follower of Jesus, passionate about faith, fitness, nutrition, a lifestyle of total health, meditating, learning and growing!